Thursday 7 June 2012

Tenacious D at Brixton Academy

I glimpsed a little Download preview last night with Tenacious D’s gig at Brixton Academy. It was exactly as I expected; a highly entertaining night with damn good sing along potential. The first part of the set was devoted to their new album Rize of the Fenix before they cracked on with the classics.


Yes The D can be puerile and yes some people are put off by the crude content (the stage was adorned with a giant inflatable phallus of a phoenix), but let’s not forget the fact that these guys are genuinely talented musicians and they put on a hell of a show. Would Dave Grohl really endorse anything less?

The only downside to the evening was entirely my own doing, well almost… It was partly Nando’s fault (too much food and beer hits me hard sometimes) and partly due to the fact that Brixton Academy was hotter than usual - a combination that made me feel seriously nauseous about 20 minutes in.

I headed out to the bar to sit down for a minute and quietly judge myself for being so pathetic, when a random guy decided to join me and question me about my taste in music. It turns out that he was the one thing guaranteed to turn a nauseous lady into a completely sick one… an enthusiastic Coldplay fan. Oh dear lord.

The night's highlights included Tribute, Double Team and Beelzeboss and I can safely say I’m looking forward to seeing Tenacious D again on Saturday, but this time I will be staying well away from Nandos and Coldplay fans. Can’t promise the same for the beer…

Right, I’m off to pack for Download and to prepare myself for the mud. After a week of rain I think my Hunters are about to become my new best friends!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Rock & Runway

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig