Monday 16 July 2012

Incubus at Brixton Academy

Last week I went to see Incubus at Brixton Academy. I’ve seen them play several times over the years, the most recent of which was at the Hammersmith Apollo, and to be honest that particular show wasn’t the best I’ve ever been to. Brandon Boyd displayed a distinct lack of enthusiasm, barely addressing the crowd, and the set list seemed (for want of a better phrase) half-arsed.


For this reason we very nearly didn’t get tickets for last week’s gig, but I’ve seen them play well before and I had faith that they could turn it around. Thankfully they didn’t disappoint me! Somehow they felt like the Incubus of old, combining the energy of the Science and Make Yourself eras with the slickness of Morning View.

And what a set list! There was a nice mixture from their latest album and back catalogue, and Science wasn’t ignored as it has been so many times before. In fact the highlight of my night can be summed up in five little words: A Certain Shade of Green. Other highlights included Privilege and Here in my Room (neither of which have been performed much in recent years) and Drive, which I just don't get sick of hearing.

After all these years I’m still not bored of Incubus. For me their appeal lies in the fact that they still have their own sound – it changes from album to album but remains distinctive, so they never sound ‘of an era’. It's hard to believe that Morning View is 11 years old now, it just doesn't date.

The only predictable thing about Incubus is Boyd’s predilection for removing his clothing during every performance. But you know what? As long as the music comes first, I for one am not going to complain.





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Rock & Runway

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig