Friday 31 August 2012

Green Day at Shepherds Bush Empire


Last week I went to see Green Day at Shepherds Bush Empire. Yet another favourite from my teenage years playing a reasonably tiny venue? Well, I couldn’t resist. I may not listen to Green Day on a regular basis anymore, but one thing that I really don’t have in life is musical regrets. If I loved a band once, they will always have a place in my heart and on my ipod, and Dookie is a damn fine example.


To be honest this review won’t take me very long because it was a fun show, pure and simple. When Tré was the first member of the band on stage and opened with All By Myself I knew we were onto a winner and followed straight up with Welcome to Paradise and Burnout, I was immediately satisfied that we were going to hear plenty of old material. And indeed we did.

A few new songs from their soon to be released album ¡Uno! were integrated in nicely (the album which will be followed shortly by a further two albums, ¡Dos! and ¡Tré!) and marked a return to an older style rather than the longer rock operatic songs of the American Idiot era.

Other highlights included When I Come Around, Hitchin' A Ride and She, and a comical portion following King For a Day with the band all playing their guitars lying on their backs. It was a great show and reminded me exactly why my Green Day albums are still in my collection. It's hard not to get sentimental about a band from your childhood who have survived a 25 year run without a split and over two decades without a line up change.

The only thing missing from my night was Good Riddance but hey, you can’t win ‘em all.






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Rock & Runway

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig