Thursday 18 July 2013

Amplified T-shirts and the mythical square-shaped woman


As you’ve probably figured out by now, I’m a big believer that music and fashion go hand in hand. So why oh why are good band T-shirts so hard to come by? Great prints aren’t an issue, all my favourite bands have awesome designs, it’s the fit that’s the problem. Next time you’re at a gig, swing by the merch table and take a look at the women’s T-shirts. I’ll bet you any money you like that you can’t find a flattering one.

Presumably most people are under the assumption that women are either completely square-shaped or that girls who go to gigs plain don’t care about the way their clothes fit. I’m not sure which of these two notions offends me more, but it’s safe to say that no matter how much I love a band, I won’t be wearing their T-shirt if it’s too short, too wide and printed on cheap fabric that will change shape beyond recognition after one wash.

I’ve digressed a little… this post wasn’t meant to be a rant, but a way to share the solution with my fellow non-square band loving women. The first lesson took me well over a decade to learn (not sure why common sense evaded me for so long!) but it was life changing: ignore the ladies stuff and buy a man’s extra small. It will be longer, narrower and so much more flattering!

This solution works fairly well at gigs, but if you’re looking for a few classics, my personal recommendation is that you head over to Amplified Clothing. They have a good selection, a great fit and a range of T-shirts, vests and jumpers for men and women. It also feels much more respectable than when your average high-street chain stocks band T-shirts on a whim.

You know what I mean… you happen to see a great design and you're sorely tempted to make a purchase because for once the fit looks great, but you don’t. Because you know that up and down the country the very same T-shirt is being mass purchased by an army of tweens who have no idea who the fuck Nirvana were, nor an inclination to find out.

If anyone else knows of any places to buy band T-shirts for girls who care about clothes I’d love to hear about them! In the meantime let’s hope bands get their act together. The fact that several guys have thrown men’s T-shirts they bought at gigs my way because the size or fit was all wrong just goes to show…. I’m not just being a total princess, boys care about these things too.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Rock & Runway

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig